#SLFMADE: Putting your best face forward: Skincare Routine!
- Cleansers: I regularly use Origins Checks and Balances (it’s so frothy and satisfying!) and Adasept, which is an over-the-counter anti-microbial face wash. It has changed my skin for the better, as I struggled with mild acne for a while.
- Toner: I switch between Clinique’s Clarifying Lotion #2 and Caudalie’s Beauty Elixir, depending on what my skin needs. The Caudalie is a beautiful indulgence - I also use it before applying makeup and throughout the day as a refresher.
- Moisturizer: Before using my typical moisturizer (Clinique’s Dramatically Different lotion/gel – no this is not an ad for Clinique, their products are just very reliable!) at night, I apply Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate. It is a miracle oil/serum! It’s a best seller for a reason and a little goes a long way. It really does restore the appearance of the skin after a few uses.
- Last but not least – the eye cream! Very necessary for all my late-20-somethings! I currently use First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Triple Remedy Overnight Balm, and find the moisture it provides to really help my overtired eyes. I tend to try new products in this category more so than the others.
*** Disclaimer. This post contains affiliate links
Hi everyone, it's Carla here! I'm a lawyer and soon-to-be beauty blogger, @carlacita. Life as a lawyer is often hectic; it’s easy to lose sight of yourself and taking care of your skin. Taking care of my skin is a top priority, so I’ve developed a skin-care and makeup regime that helps me put my best face forward, literally and figuratively!
I’m passionate about all things related to skincare and beauty. Before my life as a lawyer, I was a Beauty Consultant with Clinique. This experience gave me exposure to both skin care and makeup techniques. I truly love the creative and transformative effects makeup and adequate skincare can have on an individual. Proper skincare is so important; it allows makeup to apply more evenly, last longer and gives an overall better look when skin is maintained.
Here are my top three tips for maintaining healthy beautiful skin for women on the go:
1. My grandmother gave me the best advice: “always take your makeup off before going to bed”. How many times have you heard that advice? It is, effectively, the best skincare advice out there. Failing to remove your makeup after a long day allows dirt, oil and everyday pollutants to sit on your skin overnight. This causes a multitude of skin issues including general irritation, blocked pores and dryness, to name a few.
For makeup removal, micellar water really does the trick. I regularly use Garnier’s waterproof micellar water to remove essentially all of my makeup. When I’m wearing particularly stubborn foundation or mascara, I reach for Lancôme’s Bi-Facil or Clinique’s Take The Day Off. Both are equally as effective, although some would argue that Lancôme’s version is the holy grail of makeup removers.
2. Exfoliate. I learned about the importance of this technique while working at Clinique. Your expensive serums and moisturizers will not work on flaky skin (even if it does not appear so). No matter how tired I am or how late it is, I always remove my makeup, cleanse, tone and moisturize my skin. I also exfoliate with a “peel” and physical scrub several times a week, depending on the season.
3. Learn about the skin you’re in! Finding the right skin care routine for your needs may take a bit of tweaking, but it is well worth the time (and money) spent. I recommend learning about your skin type before embarking on this journey. I was skin-typed with Clinique and have been mindful of changes in my skin over the years.
Stay tuned for Part II, when I return to share my everyday makeup routine. Don't forget to leave a comment below and follow @strictlylegalfashionista and @carlacita on Instagram. This is the first of many collabs and, who knows, maybe there will be a giveaway or two!